Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a name to refer to this kind of (computer) drawing style:

enter image description here

which resemble a little bit of the Portal 2 trailer style.

enter image description here

Is there any name to refer to this particular type of design. If so, what is the name?

share|improve this question
up vote 9 down vote accepted

Two relevant terms:

  • The type of flat-3D perspective is isometric view (or more accurately pseudo-isometric because it looks like it's not strictly based on 120 degrees).
  • The style of limited-detail but accurate drawing is like instructional diagrams - in particular, it looks based on styles commonly used in in-flight safety diagrams. A lot of the incidental graphics in Portal and Portal 2 reference styles used in corporate instructional diagrams.
share|improve this answer
"pseudo-isometric" is more properly called axonometric projection, which includes isometric, dimetric, and trimetric (which is what the second example image is). In general, images which have no perspective foreshortening are parallel projections. Lots more detail here: – Alistair Buxton Sep 27 '13 at 1:24

It may also be helpful for you to look at designing from one, two and three point perspectives, a pre-computer, fundamental method for drawing like this:

Two Point Perspective Drawing

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.