Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

I've been trying to describe this effect on google and got no useful results. Seems like its a mix between a tint via the overlay and the offset?

Here is another example, but the effect seems less pronounced.

share|improve this question
Looks like a gradient overlay to me. – Johannes Nov 9 '13 at 8:00
There is a lens flare effect overlayed as well. – horatio Nov 13 '13 at 22:42

As per my comment, this effect can easily be made with a gradient.

Below is an image that has had a Gradient Map applied (purple & orange) and had the blending mode set to Screen.

The potency of the effect is determined by the colors as well as the opacity. Playing around with different blending modes may also lead to some other cool results. enter image description here

share|improve this answer
+1, Yes I tried that, working great – Bala Nov 9 '13 at 9:19
@Dominic I can't, because it's not my question :) – Bala Nov 9 '13 at 9:56

Without testing, the result on the image you provided looks as achievable with :

  1. decreasing saturation
  2. applying cold photo filter
  3. adjusting shadows and highlights
  4. little bit of surface blur
  5. little bit of sharpness in the end
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.