Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So I just purchased the CS5.5 Master Collection, I'm an enthusiast :) I have a question pertaining to blending layers and applying adjustments in Photoshop. How do I apply an adjustment layer to a blended layer, while only having the blended layer affecting one layer beneath it, and then having the adjustment layer apply only to the result of that created by the blending? I know it's a mouthful...

I have three layers, from top to bottom: adjustment layer, blending layer, artwork layer. I have applied a gradient to the blending layer using the Vivid Light option, which in turn affects all the layers below it (I only want it to affect the artwork layer though). I then want to apply an adjustment to the resulting effect.

Apologies if I was vague, but my terminology on the subject matter is not yet up to par as I'm a complete newbie to this field. Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Cheers, Les

share|improve this question

migrated from Jun 17 '11 at 23:48

This question came from our site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers.

up vote 4 down vote accepted

The solution is a lot easier than the problem defined. Just hold the ALT key, then move your mouse cursor between those two layers (blending layer and the artwork layer). The cursor will change to this strange arrow, then CLICK.

The blending layer will then be applied only to the artwork layer beneath it and your problem is solved!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.