Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I found this example photos in Noel Shiveley 's Instagram

I wonder ,How he applied this technique? What is the white noise called? Dust? Old Paper? Where I can find or create it?

And how to apply to photo? I mean which blend option? Softlight? Mutiply? Screen?

By the way,What is this font name or style? hand drawing?


enter image description here enter image description here lorm ipsum lorem ipsum

share|improve this question

There are a lot of ways to get this look. Instagram uses a predifined filter, but you can also do it "manually" in photoshop. Try for example: ->Filters -> Noise -> Dust and Scratches and you can play with the settings.

For more of an in-depth analysis of what Instagram does, here is a description and some tutorials for various retro effects.

share|improve this answer

If you look at the "lint" you will see that it is the exact same texture in every photo.

The most common way to get this overlay to happen is to create a mask which is used to allow color in some areas and block out color in other areas. In the real world one might use a stencil and masking tape. In the digital world, it is achieved by using a special layer mask which contains a greyscale image (aka a black and white image).

While there are dust and scratch filters for this sort of thing, if you were sweep some dirt off the floor, sprinkle it onto a white piece of paper, then place the paper in direct sunlight and snap a close-up photo of it, you would have the basis for making a mask.

You would convert the color to greyscale, play with brightness and contrast, and paste it into the layer mask channel for a white layer.

The image would be on a layer below this.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.