Sign up ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there a way in Photoshop to create the text effect seen on the words "chart" "when" and "present" in this image that does not involve drawing the shapes one at a time?

Alex Fowkes

share|improve this question
What's wrong with simply duplicating the text, changing the color to black, and offsetting it behind the text? – Johannes Jan 12 '14 at 23:37
That causes issues on corners. For example if you do it on a capital "T" the lower right hand corner will have a stair-step. – maxwelljd Jan 13 '14 at 0:51

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

You can use Motion Blur to fake an extrusion, then use levels to flood the blurred area with a fill.

Blur a copy of your type, and merge it on a background:

enter image description here

Use levels to flood the fill of the blurred type:

enter image description here

Invert your original type and position to one side:

enter image description here

Finish by applying a stroke effect to the inside

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Nice technique! – Yisela Jan 13 '14 at 0:36
thank you very much for this wonderful tutorial. i will definitely try this :) – Rahul TaNvir Jul 29 at 11:29
Hi Rahul! Welcome to GD.SE. We follow a strict Q&A format (as opposed to a forum format), so I converted your post into a comment because it doesn't answer the question. Once your reputation reaches 50, you can comment everywhere. If you want to know more about the site, please see the help center or ping one of us in Graphic Design Chat once your reputation is sufficient (20). Keep contributing and enjoy the site! – Vincent Jul 29 at 11:52

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.