Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to intersect 2 existing shapes in Photoshop (CS6). I've found tutorials that allow me to intersect at the time of putting the second shape down, but nothing that allows me to do so with shapes already in the document.

The reason I would like this is that I would like to "tweak" the position of the second shape, by nudging it, adjusting its size etc. The only way I can do this at the moment is by undoing to remove the second shape, and starting again.

Is there a way to intersect 2 shapes that are already in the page?

(In Photoshop, not Illustrator. I don't have access to Illustrator at the moment)

share|improve this question
Duplicate question ?… – benoît Jan 15 '14 at 15:16

Fortunately it's pretty simple.

  1. Create new document and create two shapes.
  2. Choose "Path Selection Tool"
  3. Select any shape.
  4. Ctrl + x (or Cmd + x)
  5. Select the second shape using "Path Selection Tool"
  6. Ctrl + v (or Cmd + v)
  7. Intersect Shape Areas (look at blue circle on options bar)

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Try to deal with this : or use vector masks.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
This video doesn't answer my question: it combines the shapes at the time of putting the second shape down. Also, I think it's better to answer the question here on the site, and not depend completely on external resources (although links to external sites in addition to an answer here I believe are fine). – Michal Charemza Jan 15 '14 at 12:41
But there is no pathfinder in Photoshop! I give you two tips! – benoît Jan 15 '14 at 15:09
Although maybe poor in quality, @benoît does mention vector masks and posted a screenshot to how you might set it up. The vector mask itself would act as the intersecting shape and can be edited later. – Johannes Jan 15 '14 at 22:30
Screenshot was after the first comment… – benoît Jan 16 '14 at 20:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.