Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here So you can have a look at that picture, in that picture, the middle men's face is half bright and half of normal colour.

How to do that effect using photoshop? Please anyone if you know please elaborate in a step by step manner.

What is this effect named as?

share|improve this question
@user568458 -- You should post that as an answer. – Scott Feb 7 '14 at 10:14

You have the photographer take the photo with the light source on one side.

You can then increase the effect in Photoshop.

Take that photo of a face where the light source is on one side (photo source)...

enter image description here

...and increase the contrast using Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast.

Or, a more advanced way with more fine control is to use Image > Adjustments > Curves to create an s shaped curve where the darker parts of the face are darkened and the lighter parts lightened - find where on the curve the s should pivot with the eyedropper you get while the curves window is open.

enter image description here

This won't help unless the photo was taken with the light source on one side.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.