Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a rectangular image which I'd like to distort so that it fits into a shape. I can almost do it using "Distort", but I need to move more than just the corners, which is all I can seem to do using distort. The midpoints just scale along that direction.

This is approximatly what I want to achieve: What I want

There'd probably be more distortion, but I painted this by hand... I can use either Photoshop or Illustrator, if either one is more suited.

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

This is easily achieved in Illustrator using Envelope Distort:

  1. Draw your pattern/shape/whatever to be warped

    Pattern to warp

  2. Draw the shape to guide the warping

    Guide shape

  3. Select both object (with guide shape on top) and use ToolsEnvelope DistortMake With Top Object (keyboard shortcut Alt + Ctrl + C)


The default options may make the edges too smooth for your taste. Check ObjectEnvelope DistortEnvelope Options. Higher fidelity = sharper corners.

You can do a lot o' cool stuff with Envelope Distort... GD Flag

share|improve this answer
No question about it. The PS distort would be a nightmare for this. (You could get there using Vanishing Point, I think, but it would be tricky, not to mention tedious.) – Alan Gilbertson Jul 9 '11 at 22:41
Brilliant, thank you! – carlpett Jul 10 '11 at 15:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.