Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Where Can i find books / references / inspirations to learn the principles behind these graphic patterns?

Its often seen in Luxury / Heritage style products, as well as the us Dollar sign. What is the art / graphic design style called? I understand that this may be a mix of various styles, but is there an overlapping or overall name for this art style?

Specifically examples would be Simon Frouw's work as they all seem to fall under this category:



More examples: Sentinels cards example

Chinese lattice mixed with this style for nike

enter image description here

wine design example

Card example

Looking at them they just look elegant and old-school luxurious with all the intricate details that looks hand crafted. From looking at the various examples i gathered there to be elements or art deco geometric patterns, halftone engravings styles, monograms, and heritage crests

I'm probably the most interested in the beautiful decorative geometric & illustrative / graphic design patterns as seen in the background. Whats the principle behind these designed? whats it called and where can i learn to make them?

share|improve this question
There's no one style here. You have a mix of hand illustration, engraving (or drawn to look like engraving), hand lettering, type swashes, embossing, etc. You could all lump it under 'hand illustration evocative of late 1800's commercial art' perhaps. –  DA01 Mar 9 at 1:08
@DA01 Thanks! looking up late 19th century has definitely helped! There are certain decorative elements that i'd like to learn. specifically the stuff this guy does: howdesign.com/design-creativity/fonts-typography/…. any recommendations for resources on stuff like bifurcated serifs, filigree, etc? –  SGcoder Mar 10 at 21:14
that's pretty much all 'hand lettering'. Historically also a skillset of the sign painter. I'd google for historical books on the subject matter. AS for learning that stuff, I'd say it's 90% practice, practice, practice! :) –  DA01 Mar 10 at 21:22

1 Answer 1

As for the 'style' you see on printed US Currency, that is engraving. It's more of a technique than anything. See the answer here.

That said, the samples show aren't all engraving. A few borrow (namely 'A' monogram) but you have other techniques and styles going on.

The first two are just decorative illustrations. They are evocative of a lot of late 1800's style advertising.

The 3rd we discussed, and is the closest to engraving.

The 4th is emulating hand lettering--specifically gold plated signage. Also something you say a lot of in the late 1800s into the 1900s. It was traditionally done in gold leaf and paint on glass. There's also decorative type swashes included.

The last is physically embossing (raised decoration) and stylistically perhaps best described as 'playing card style'.

I wouldn't call any of the styles shown as 'woodcut'. That's perhaps related, but tends to have a bit of a different aesthetic.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.