Sign up ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to find a way to distort artwork to emulate those crazy chalk art pieces you see all the time, like this:

enter image description here

I know how it's done:

enter image description here

...but I'm wondering if there is an Illustrator or Photoshop plugin available to apply the distortion for me.

Currently, I do the distortions manually with Mesh Envelope, but it's tedious. There has to be an easier way. Any ideas?

EDIT: Here is one of the recent real life projects I did that used this sort of technique, but calculated manually, stair by stair:

Here is the desired view point:

enter image description here

And here is an off angle view point:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Isn't the effect of said illustrations that it's not distorted when you are looking at it in the right spot? Regardless, your 'free transform' tool will likely get you most of the way there. – DA01 Mar 10 '14 at 22:38
Ya I'm confused since the whole idea is that the image isn't distorted.... what are you using Mesh Envelope for? – Ryan Mar 11 '14 at 0:04
In order to make the image look 'correct' from the desired viewing point, you have to beat up the image when it is applied to the ground / wall. Notice how the example globe looks round in the top photo, but it is actually radically distorted in the lower one. – TunaMaxx Mar 13 '14 at 23:44
I've edited the question with a real world example I just completed. If you want to see more, or check out the crazy lengths that TED will go to for their shows, check this out:… – TunaMaxx Mar 18 '14 at 22:42

1 Answer 1

Using a perspective grid in Illustrator should work.

  1. Rotate your art 90 degrees counterclockwise
  2. Access perspective grid
  3. Place your image on the left side of the perspective grid and adjust the position as needed
  4. Copy the distorted image
  5. Turn of the perspective grid
  6. Paste the distorted art
  7. Rotate the distorted art 90 degrees clockwise
share|improve this answer
I'll have to try that. If this method works, you will save me a lot of time! – TunaMaxx Mar 13 '14 at 23:45
Hope it helps. Let me know if it works out – conceptoftheday Mar 14 '14 at 2:51
Up to step 3 this is all fine, but all the other steps after that don't result in that stretch version we/I am looking for (as the globe example)... I really need that distorted version for a project :( – LoopyMind Sep 29 at 19:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.