Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

enter image description here

How do you do this in Photoshop? I am using Photoshop cc and Illustrator and I am in the process of learning. Can anyone teach me how to do that text effect shown in the picture? thanks!

share|improve this question
For something like this we ask you show that you've made some attempt to try on your own and got stuck at some point along the way. – Ryan Mar 13 '14 at 14:23
This is called misregistration, I would suggest using that as a search term – JohnB Mar 13 '14 at 14:31
Take your type layer, duplicate it 3 times, change the hue of each with a colorize tool. (nitpicky trivia: this would likely never happen in real life as you wouldn't use cyan, magenta and yellow overprinting to create Black. You'd just use black ink.) – DA01 Mar 13 '14 at 15:15
Tricks like this are based on overlapping shapes with blend modes – user568458 Mar 13 '14 at 15:46
Copy Paste Copy Paste Copy Paste Layer Colour Layer Colour Layer Colour ... oh and don't forget the transparency! – Paul May 3 at 8:26

You can do this in Illustrator by simply stacking fills and adjusting them via the Appearance Panel.


The Transform effect for each fill, simply moves the fill vertically so they are off-center.

share|improve this answer
great answer... but no black in OP... it was generated from the overlap as shown in @George Profenza's post below. – Phlume Mar 13 '14 at 18:58
Answer was more about theory than actual creation. But, okay, you're right. Image updated. – Scott Mar 13 '14 at 19:19
and now the +1 :-) – Phlume Mar 14 '14 at 12:53

That's an example of the subtractive color synthesis. In illustrator you can do that by using a subtractive blend mode like multiply in the transparency panel: subtractive colours illustrator

To prove the concept I'm using 3 text elements filled with cyan, magenta and yellow. When all the layers overlap, they subtract from each other resulting in black

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.