Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a group of merged shapes. How can I make a double stroke in Photoshop?

I'm using Photoshop CC

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

The easiest way to do this is to add a stroke effect to the shape. In general, create your shape and give it a fill and stroke, then add a stroke effect via the Layers panel.

The stroke effect can be aligned outside or inside a shape, and Photoshop conveniently defines "inside" and "outside" to include any vector stroke already applied to the object, so a 5 pixel stroke effect can add to a 10 px vector stroke (outside), subtract from it (inside), or both (center) according to how you set the parameters.

Since the vector stroke and the stroke effect can both be solid colors, gradients or patterns, and a stroke effect can have any Blend Mode and Opacity you want, the possible combinations are mind-boggling (although I estimate that better than 90% of them pose a serious risk of eye-bleed).

share|improve this answer

As of the June 15, 2015 update you can add multiple strokes to things in Photoshop CC.

Simply open the layer style dialog on whatever you want to stroke and then click the plus icon on the right side. This will add an additional stroke to the shape. enter image description here

Every stroke has its own set of controls so you can adjust any of the options individually.

Note: You can go up to 10 strokes per layer.

From Adobe's What's New page:

Add more layer styles to get the look you want

Easily add up to 10 instances of select layer styles — including drop shadow, gradient overlay, color overlay, inner shadow and stroke — to a layer or layer group, and re-edit any style at any time. No more rasterizing effects or stacking in different layer groups.

share|improve this answer

You can duplicate your layer and then add stroke when you change stroke size in each layer you will get a new stroke as you duplicate more layers

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.