Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've always been trying to look for the name of a specific art style that consists of many lines traversing in a grid, like in a taxicab geometry. An example would be this picture, an image from a flash game called "Traitor":

Image from flash game "Traitor"

It is a distinct art style which I've seen it popped up in different places, so I'm sure there's a name to it. I've tried to find it by keywords like "fractal art", but no luck.

share|improve this question
Looks like a cheesy photoshop filter. – DA01 Apr 20 '14 at 6:26

For me it is variation of pixel art combined with vectorizing which is possible on modern machines.

Someone called this style as "pixel-meets-vector", however I am not sure that this type of art has individual name. You can see that the pictures are made of small squares and this is the permanent feature of pixel art. Again, probably it is original pixel art development.

As we can clearly see, the smallest picture element is a small square cell which has no fill, but just outline. Second, we clearly see, that this square outline is the ONLY graphic element used to create the whole artwork: there are no triangle, uneven rectangles or circles. There are square cells only with varying color overlays.

As stated, we have clearly see that the picture is built by small square cells - picture cells, which is exact meaning of the word pixel (PICture CELL).

Thus, we can state that this picture is highly suggestive to be part of Pixel Art variety.

share|improve this answer
However, I've also seen some instances where it's used to generate random-looking patterns (like Life), and sometimes is even "evolving" in an animated way, i.e an animation of it. So I'd say it's definitely not just pixel art. (And it'd be impossible to do its animation by means of pixel art, I think.) – user21516 Apr 5 '14 at 16:10
I mean that it is modern simulation of pixel art and not pixel art itself... – Ilan Apr 5 '14 at 16:22

I'm not sure if this "style" has any specific name — it's really just a simple Photoshop / GIMP / etc. effect. Here, let me recreate the image in the GIMP for you:

  1. I'll start with the Newgrounds logo, scaled to 640 pixels wide to match your example image (click to enlarge):

    Step 1: Newgrounds logo, scaled to 640 x 528 pixels

  2. Next, I add some multiplicative noise by creating a new layer, filling it with grayscale noise and setting its blending mode to "multiply":

    Step 2: Add multiplicative noise

  3. The I merge the layers and pixelize the result. I used 4 × 4 pixels here, whereas your image probably had 3 × 3 pixels, but it doesn't make much difference:

    Step 3: Pixelize

  4. Then, I applied an edge-detection filter (FiltersEdge-DetectEdge..., "Gradient" algorithm, amount 1.0):

    Step 4: Gradient edge detection

  5. Finally, I inverted the colors (ColorsHue-Saturation..., adjust master hue by 180) to match your image:

    Step 5: Invert hue

share|improve this answer
"pixelize the result" creating pixel art... Quod erat demonstrahdum! It does not matter HOW do you create an art, for style definition the END result is important... You described the WAY the pixel art can be created. Great and up! – Ilan Apr 20 '14 at 7:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.