Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking to start making book covers for myself and a few friends, and I am wondering what software to use. I have Photoshop and GIMP for the manipulation aspect, but what about the rest?

share|improve this question
Operating system? Windows? – Robert Koritnik Apr 18 '14 at 12:14

There are many applications that can do this. I have explained two options that you may consider:

(1) Paid Applications: (from Adobe)
a. Photoshop - Image manipulation
b. Illustrator - Vector Graphics
c. Indesign - Layout your cover page/book exactly for Print & Publishing

(2) Free Applications: (Open Source)
a. GIMP - Image manipulation
b. Inkscape - Vector Graphics
c. Scribus - Layout your cover page/book exactly for Print & Publishing

A good cover/book design is an outcome of effective use of above three tools. Hope this helps you.

share|improve this answer

Consider this:

You have PS or Gimp for your photo manipulation.

Then you have a vector-based programme like Illustrator or Inkscape for scalable vector work.

Then, finally, you have InDesign or Scribus as the desktop publishing programme where it all comes together.

The last two are desktop publishing programmes, and as such, are programmes commonly used to create entire books. The other four are useful/not useful entirely dependant on what sort of imagery you are going to make.

share|improve this answer

You really have in Photoshop everything you are likely to need, at least for now. If you were setting out to do this for a living, I'd steer you toward InDesign and Illustrator, but for your purposes you can (and professional designers do, in many cases, depending on the specific design) work entirely in Photoshop.

If you find you need to create sophisticated vector artwork, then Illustrator or Inkscape is the usual tool of choice.

One important thing you need to know is that if you're self-publishing, you must send a PDF file, not a PSD, jpeg or TIFF to the print service. That will ensure that any vector information in your layout (such as text) goes through the negative or plate making software (called a "RIP," for "Raster Image Processor") at full resolution.

share|improve this answer

Although the free (open source) software is fantastic you can still run into hurdles when trying to then work in CMYK as the tend not to have this colour mode in their make up yet. It could be worth considering the use of Adobe's Creative Cloud if you need to over come this issue. You will need to sign up for a minimum of a year but it will work out cheaper than buying all of the software in one hit.

share|improve this answer

I will suggest you for corel draw X7.2 i am a designer in British International School System and from 5 years we are working on book and work books we do designing on Corel Draw X7.2 and Adobe Photo shop CS3

share|improve this answer

protected by Darth_Vader Sep 9 '14 at 18:05

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.