Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As the title says, what is the best way in Photoshop to create a heat wave/shimmer/etc effect? Ideally I would like it be sequenced somehow, so I can output this to a series of frames - but if not, so be it.

If you're not sure what I mean by heat shimmer


share|improve this question
i dont see why it was downvoted – Muhammad Umer Jan 21 '13 at 17:52
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Look at this tutorials if this can help :

Plugin :

Heat Haze Flash Filter

hope they will lead you to your output....

share|improve this answer

There is no easy way, maybe with programming and plugins, but to make this effect only with Photoshop as is you will need to use Smudge tool. I do it all the time. Use images for reference. And dont be too hard in strength of smudge tool.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.