Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Hello I want to create a photo wall effect similar to this and I am trying to do it with Photoshop CS6. Can someone give me some pointers and tips how to do it?

enter image description here

I tried with Warp, but it looks so bad and it's nowhere near comparsion. I also tried with Edit->Transform->Perspective, but then it looked more like this and not what I wanted.

I'm also trying it on a smaller image (800x415) and I have lots of thumbnails similar to the ones in the original hulu image, but I merged them into one big image with the idea that it'll be easier.

share|improve this question
Thanks for the info! I just edited your comment in :) – Yisela May 1 '14 at 21:06

The warp is the only way you're going to get this effect. Edit -> Transform -> Warp on the image layer.

For example starting with this:


You can end up with a result like the following, using only the warp tool, you just need to get the wrap points right. Also you might need to add a dark shadow in the centre at the bend.


share|improve this answer

Joonas's answer is on the money, but another method is to use Distort > Displace:

The input is another .psd that acts as a displacement map. The red channel controls horizontal distortion, and green controls vertical. Neutral gray means no movement, white = up/left, black = down/right. By setting a couple of gradients across the channels you can get pretty close:

Input Displacement map:

enter image description here

Input Grid:



enter image description here

If you're willing to use Imagemagick, I recommend it. As in this question, it has a cylindrical distortion that matches what you need perfectly.

share|improve this answer

You could also do it like this.

So I have bunch of layers that form the grid of images.

enter image description here

enter image description here

To give it flexibility, I put them into a Smart Object

enter image description here

Then from the top menu Edit > Free Transform ( ...or Windows: Ctrl+T Mac: Cmd+T )

In the Free Transform toolbar at the top, click Warp modes icon

enter image description here

On the left side, from the warp dropdown, select Bulge.

enter image description here

Add minus value to the bend, and you're pretty much done.

Make sure the orientation is correct, by clicking the Warp orientation icon on the left side of Bend. enter image description here this point it looks like this enter image description here

You can also add horizontal distortion, if you want to.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Derp, I did not know the warp modes were available. Nice one – Alex Blackwood May 2 '14 at 13:52
+1 for using a Smart Object in your process explanation - it's a really flexible and non-destructive Photoshop method, love it. :) – rpauldesign May 2 '14 at 14:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.