Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

Example of a Noisy Gradient

What techniques are out there that allow you to create a gradient like the ones pictured above? Is this a product of a specific brush set? Or is there some type of Noise Manipulation / Gradient Pattern going on in this image?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by JohnB May 13 '14 at 15:00

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 1 down vote accepted

A simple way to do this is to create a gradient that goes from black to 0% opacity white (it won't work if you use 100% opacity white)

enter image description here

Then change the layer blend mode to Dissolve

enter image description here

Et voila!

enter image description here

You could also convert the layer to a Smart Object to "save" the effect so you can then add extra blending options such as Multiply.

share|improve this answer

Looks like very coarse use of the Noise Filter in Photoshop.

No effort has been made to match the curvature of the cylinders, so it's probably gradients of Black to Transparent that have then had Noise applied to them.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.