Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a laser printer, and I wish to print onto plastic sheets for creating boxes to hold playing cards. How would one go about the printing process, or is it even possible? What plastic should I use?

share|improve this question

Generally what you would put through a laser printer would be called Transparency Film. Something like this:

But this is thin stuff. I'm not sure it would be sturdy enough for your application.
You could give it a go though if a laser printer is all you have. Maybe print on the transparency film, but frame your boxes with sturdier plastics.

share|improve this answer
Well, that sure would work for a while, but I'll need something a little better. How would silk screening fair? – user24683 Jun 10 '14 at 3:35
more difficult than laser printing. Usually you would silkscreen on a material that could absorb the ink, paper or fabric etc. Plastic would work too, but you might need different inks or additional equipment. Getting the ink to set and dry properly is essential. Use Google, there are some how to's and videos out there. – Rsiel Jun 10 '14 at 13:17
Based on the question asking about laser printing, this is the correct answer. There are transparency sheets designed specifically for running through laser printers. – DA01 Jun 5 '15 at 7:36

I am afraid that you need to consider not just a plastic but a laser printer, because during printing process heating is used and you have a chance to destroy your device.

You can check for specialized equipment at Plastic Printers. I am sure they also have clean plastic cards ready for print.

share|improve this answer
Unfortunately, they only print on cards. I'm looking for Sheets. – user24683 Jun 9 '14 at 20:37

Nekoosa Coated Products has a plastic sheet specifically for laser printing.

share|improve this answer
This is only a link answer. Suppose the link is broken, your "answer" is useless. Please explain better! – Kurt Nov 11 '14 at 21:16

what his link pointed to (worked for me), and what you might be looking for is "Synthetic Paper"/"Polyester paper"

theres a couple of brands that make those, they are basically polyester.

Nekoosa Coated Synaps OM
Xerox Polyester

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.