Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Mighty Boosh with Colors Removed

What is this style refereed to as? Image is from a promotion for the show The Mighty Boosh. I keep wanting to call it Banksy but that's not it...

share|improve this question
"Late-Era Xerox." –  Lauren Ipsum Aug 16 '11 at 19:14
That's gotta be close at least... –  leeand00 Aug 16 '11 at 20:54
Lauren, I love your sense of humor. "Neo-Xerox" might also work. –  Alan Gilbertson Aug 16 '11 at 23:28
Well, it's clearly not an early Xerox, or you'd have a lot more detail. This is like 20th-generation Xerox. –  Lauren Ipsum Aug 16 '11 at 23:37
Threshold Style? xD –  Johannes Aug 19 '11 at 5:39

3 Answers 3

Knockout image, reverse, or Photocopy.

share|improve this answer

Doesn't really have one yet I think, " Street Art Stenciling " seems to be the closest - If you can get the UK channel 4od check - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/graffiti-wars/4od - and the documentary "Exit through the Gift Shop" which were on a couple of days ago, both covering the artists who do a similar style to the one above.

share|improve this answer
Boooo. The post is a photograph with Levels, Threshold, or Curves gone awry via Photoshop. Banksy's work has much more detail, style, and is not done for commercial purposes. –  Dawson Aug 28 '11 at 4:25
@Dawson Fair enough, I didn't intend to insult his work. I find it inspiring. –  leeand00 Aug 29 '11 at 0:58
@leeand00 - It's cool. I was boo-ing this comment. The word "Stenciling" didn't sit well with me. I know that may be part of the process, but I know there's a lot more to it than that, where Banksy's concerned. I also see his work as trying to say something rather than sell something - that's what forced the "boo" out of me. –  Dawson Aug 29 '11 at 3:27

heavy blocks of text are pretty indicative of modernism from the swiss movement and the stripped down graphic is dadaism, and since both of those styles are heavily appropriated here, i'd call it post-modern. well more pastiche than anything else. but yea. post-modernism.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.