Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Mighty Boosh with Colors Removed

What is this style refereed to as? Image is from a promotion for the show The Mighty Boosh. I keep wanting to call it Banksy but that's not it...

share|improve this question
"Late-Era Xerox." – Lauren Ipsum Aug 16 '11 at 19:14
That's gotta be close at least... – leeand00 Aug 16 '11 at 20:54
Lauren, I love your sense of humor. "Neo-Xerox" might also work. – Alan Gilbertson Aug 16 '11 at 23:28
Well, it's clearly not an early Xerox, or you'd have a lot more detail. This is like 20th-generation Xerox. – Lauren Ipsum Aug 16 '11 at 23:37
Threshold Style? xD – Johannes Aug 19 '11 at 5:39

Forgetting entirely about the lettering for a moment, and just sticking to the photography, this picture represents what you would get with litho film. An extreme contrast film, litho (usually ortho litho these days, or orthochromatic lithography film, which can be used under relatively bright red safe lights) is characterized by large blocks of tone that are either "on" or "off", with essentially no intermediate tones at all; individual grains have a hair-trigger exposure threshold, and development is "contagious", so black areas will bleed together. That film type has been used for halftone offset lithography and serigraphy (silkscreen printing) pre-press repro work for, oh, a hundred years or so, so it predates xerography by just a little bit. This picture represents what you would get using ortho film without a halftone screen (and likely with a bit of additional hand-masking with paint/ink and ferricyanide bleach or something like rubylith appliqués). That technique was used commercially and found its way into a number of schools of art over the years

That said, the effect in this application seems obviously designed to look like late-'70s/early-'80s-era photocopied flyers/'zines. Basically, you had a choice: pay for the Letraset halftone overlay sheet (which was like $20 for a two-pack of letter-size in those days, when $20 was an awful lot of pocket change) so you could get a reasonable-looking continuous-tone image, or just run a photo through a photocopier, adjust the contrast, modify with marker and correction fluid, rinse and repeat until you got a useful "master" (under a dollar, especially if you could do it at school without getting caught). (The real work was in hand-colouring the blue lettering with Hi-Liters.) So Lauren's offhand comment is really the right answer.

share|improve this answer

heavy blocks of text are pretty indicative of modernism from the swiss movement and the stripped down graphic is dadaism, and since both of those styles are heavily appropriated here, i'd call it post-modern. well more pastiche than anything else. but yea. post-modernism.

share|improve this answer

Doesn't really have one yet I think, " Street Art Stenciling " seems to be the closest - If you can get the UK channel 4od check - - and the documentary "Exit through the Gift Shop" which were on a couple of days ago, both covering the artists who do a similar style to the one above.

share|improve this answer
Boooo. The post is a photograph with Levels, Threshold, or Curves gone awry via Photoshop. Banksy's work has much more detail, style, and is not done for commercial purposes. – Dawson Aug 28 '11 at 4:25
@Dawson Fair enough, I didn't intend to insult his work. I find it inspiring. – leeand00 Aug 29 '11 at 0:58
@leeand00 - It's cool. I was boo-ing this comment. The word "Stenciling" didn't sit well with me. I know that may be part of the process, but I know there's a lot more to it than that, where Banksy's concerned. I also see his work as trying to say something rather than sell something - that's what forced the "boo" out of me. – Dawson Aug 29 '11 at 3:27

Knockout image, reverse, or Photocopy.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.