Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Like the one shown on the RSVP design. Thank you.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Personally I just call it a bracket frame, though there MUST be a more technical term :) – Jenna Jun 12 '14 at 15:41
@Jenna 43 million Google hits kind of agree with you. – Vincent Jun 12 '14 at 15:43

Bracket Frame.

Because thanks to @Bakabaka, I am sure that Google agrees :)

share|improve this answer
When adding a link to a Google search the best way to do it is With your previous link, my browser flashed a page of incomprehensible gibberish before it correctly interpreted the link. Just a friendly and hopefully useful tip. – Dom Jul 7 '14 at 5:22
My bad, thanks for the edit :) friendly advice is appreciated! – Jenna Jul 7 '14 at 9:18

For whatever reason "bracket frame" just isn't cutting it for me. Seems like a more stylized derivative of the barbed quatrefoil.

barbed quatrefoil

It's killing me that I can't find a more "official" name for it, but the first thing I thought of was this episode of 99% Invisible from a few weeks back. Maybe someone else feels like digging into The Grammar of Ornament for more context.

Or just stick with bracket frame.

share|improve this answer
I was also shocked...surely there must be something more technical!! – Jenna Jun 13 '14 at 11:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.