Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is the new app of Google for the world-cup:

enter image description here

What program is Google using to design these drawings? Or what's the name of that type of design so I can try to learn it?

share|improve this question
Most likely Illustrator – SaturnsEye Jun 13 '14 at 8:51
I don't know that illustrator is most likely given Google's propensity to embrace open source software when it can (but it's certainly likely) – DA01 Jun 13 '14 at 16:39
Or what's the name of that type of design so I can try to learn it? It's called Google – koiyu Jul 3 '14 at 8:15
@koiyu good info thanks! – user40696 Jul 3 '14 at 8:29
up vote 14 down vote accepted

I'd probably call these type of illustrations 'vector illustrations', because they look like, at least regarding the original source files, they could be scaled up easily. If I were looking for them, to use on for example on a website, I might also search for the term "flat".

You can use different programs to make them, if you are looking for a free solution I strongly recommend Inkscape. If you want a more complete / professional software, then Adobe Illustrator is probably your best option. But you can really create these using any software.

For the most part, what you will be doing is creating points and lines/curves between them. It's best if you organize your drawings in layers, so you can for example start with the backgrounds and then just add shapes on top of them. An easy way to start working with these is, in my opinion, to re-draw some of them so you get used to tracing shapes.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.