I'm sure you all know "the Knife Game". You have to place your one hand on the desk and, using the other hand and a knife, tap the spaces between the fingers as quick as possible using a knife (or your finger in my digital version).
If also want to include a leaderboard in the game featuring the following data:
- Name of player
- Time the player played
- Number of taps
I use a silhouette of a person as an icon for the first one, a calendar as an icon for the date and a stopwatch of the time played.
But I don't know how to create an icon for the number of taps. This is what I already tried:
- Four vertical lines crossed by a horizontal line. As this is an old way of counting and the game is western-themed, this works quite nice and looks good. If is not clear what is counted, though.
- A knife in the table: addressees the issue of above, but it is not clear that it is a count. I could add a "times" appendix to the number following the icons to make that clear.
- The two icons from above combined. Will be pretty unreadable because of the icon's small size: given 1080p-resolutions, the icons have a size of about 60x60 pixels.
That's what I came up with, but, as you can see, I'm not happy with any of these. If you need more detailed information about the game:
- Western themed: a lot of wood, text is in red, but not completely saturated
- Target platform: currently Windows RT, mainly 7' - 10' tablets (I need to change the icon size for phones or the icons will be completely unreadable)
- Comic style: no gradients or textures, just solid colors with some simple shading (the darker parts are covered by a black polygon with some transparency)