Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not really sure how to ask this in words, but I used to use a program along time ago that would change one solid color into multiple variations. Say I have a solid red square, but I want it to be more textured, by varying the colors inside the square.

See this picture.

enter image description here

So what I am asking is, is there a method or brush to do this automatically, or possibly a gimp plugin? Google says no.

share|improve this question
Hi there, and welcome to GD! That image is way too small to exemplify anything. Can you edit your question to include something bigger and more descriptive? Makes it more likely that you will get helpful answers. – Benteh Aug 16 '14 at 22:32
What about HSV noise: – MG_ Aug 16 '14 at 23:10
I enlarged your image but hopefully I haven't confused the issue. It should be noted that the red squares were initially 3x3 pixel squares. – MG_ Aug 16 '14 at 23:24

You can use the Pixelize feature, Filters > Blur > Pixelize

It works better on an photograph because it has more colors to pull from but you can repeat this effect to your liking to create more colors from its previously created or 'pixelized' colors.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

You may be interested in the Grey's Magic for Image Computing (G'MIC) plugin for Gimp. In their collection of Arrays & Tiles plugins you will find the Array [random colors].

enter image description here

  • Opacity: controls the amount of variation induced by random colors.
  • X-tiles, Y-tiles: control the number of resulting tiles (maximum 20).

In addition various color variation effects different to tiles are also included, e.g.:

enter image description here Film grain
enter image description here Random Gaussian noise degradation
enter image description here Random color ellipses pattern

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.