Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to make the letters of my text look like they are "electrified" with jagged edges. How would I do that?? I've tried making my text an object and then doing the "envelope" thing but that didn't seem to offer any way to do this.

share|improve this question

Would help a bit if you mentioned what version of Illustrator you are using. Otherwise the effect might not exist.

In CS5 or CS6 I might try:

Effect > Distort & Transform > Roughen or Zig Zag.

Cool thing about Effects is they are none destructive so no need to outline text or expand paths.

Check your Appearance panel to disable or make changes on the fly.

share|improve this answer
Thanks very much. I'm using version 6.2. – bobkap Aug 25 '14 at 2:40
I wasn't aware Adobe made version 6.2 of Illustrator. There's 6, then 7, no 6.2. – Scott Aug 25 '14 at 4:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.