Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If you take pictures and the aperture settings are not ideal, you will see a light shadow in the corners.



This effect is a sign of bad quality, but is also often used as a design element in movies, pictures and so on - how is it called?

I want to use it, but I have no clue how it's called.

share|improve this question
Not always a sign of bad quality. My lens filters often create this effect due to them just being attached to my camera. Sometimes it just happens! – Johannes Sep 28 '11 at 19:13
up vote 14 down vote accepted

It is called Vignetting, which, as you described:

[…] is a reduction of an image's brightness or saturation at the periphery compared to the image center.

It can appear as

  • Mechanical (filters used in a shoot, improper lens hood, etc)
  • Optical (lens)
  • Natural (illumination falloff)
  • Pixel (digital sensor's alignment to the scene)
  • Photographic film (the film's properties)

Nowadays it can be easily done in post-processing.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.