Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

i have this image in photoshop below, and i am trying to figure out a way to get rid of all of the white parts of this image and replace with the same blue color that is there.

I have tried:

  • Hue / Saturation
  • Replace Color Tool

and neither seems to give me what I want.

Is there anyway to do a replace of the white streaks in this image and replace with the blue color?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
do you want to keep the greys? e.g. so it is a gradient from grey to transparant? – Luuk Oct 19 '11 at 11:24
Selective Color might be useful. Though, if you take the whites out of the image, it'll look very flat... – Johannes Oct 19 '11 at 13:31

If I understand what you're going for correctly, the most expedient way would be to apply a gradient map from dark blue to light blue. I got this result with about 60 seconds of trial and error:

gradient map

The process is basically:

  • Create a gradient map adjustment layer
  • Sample the image for the blue values you want to use
  • Use them as color stops, moving the stops until the levels are about where you want them. Add as many stops as you need to achieve a wider color range with more depth. Wiggle them around until it feels right.

For reference, here is the gradient map i used

Hope that helps!

share|improve this answer

The Eliminate White filter will replace white with transparency. You may need to apply Layer > Matting > Remove White Matte after this to get the colors right. Then, you can paint or fill in what you want on a new layer behind this one.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.