Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know the instructions exist. I have tried them repeatedly and they simply don't make sense. Can someone explain the steps a little better? (Reading down the list of comments, I'm not the only confused person. The last comment on the page was a second attempt at explaining the process, and I'm still not getting the cursor I should get.)

When I try to place several images at once, I get a loaded cursor icon, but all that ever happens is that I'm placing one image after another, in individual boxes, which is not what I want. How is it supposed to work?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Ah, welcome to Gridify! It's not the most transparent of features, but it is way cool for placing a bunch of images. Jing's not going to let me grab the screenshots I'd need, so I'll point you to Michael Ninness' video that demonstrates it beautifully.

The trick is, you press the arrow keys while you are dragging out the first frame to create the grid, but as you'll see in the video there's way more to gridify than just that. At the end he demos what might be (but isn't) called "spacify." It's also way cool.

share|improve this answer
WOW, wow wow wow. Thank you. That video FINALLY explained what I was looking for. Thank you! (See, if SE had a DM capability, I would have just asked you, because I knew you'd know. :) ) – Lauren Ipsum Oct 25 '11 at 10:52
I know. It got me at first, too, just like Illustrator's "press the arrow keys to change the number of sides in a polygon" baffled me, back in the day. It's counter-intuitive, somehow, to be pressing keys while you're dragging with the mouse. o_O – Alan Gilbertson Oct 25 '11 at 18:54
It's counterintuitive to be pressing keys all the way over there while dragging with the mouse. I kept hitting keys closer to the left. The < and > ? the brackets? what's the "cursor" key? – Lauren Ipsum Oct 25 '11 at 20:35
The cursor key is the one that makes you curse when you have to use it with your left hand because your right hand is holding down a $@%^#$! mouse button, fer cryin' out loud. – Alan Gilbertson Oct 27 '11 at 23:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.