Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Photoshop the skew tool allows you to move each corner of the object being skewed independently. Is there an equivalent in Illustrator? Envelope distort seems overkill and harder to achieve the same result.

share|improve this question
up vote 12 down vote accepted

You can use the Free Transform tool (keyboard shortcut is E).

There is a trick though:
Click and hold on the the corner you wish to move. THEN press and hold the Command (or Control for Windows) key. Now you can drag the corner around.

Make sure you click FIRST. Holding Command and then trying to click and drag won't work.

Bonus Tip:
You can do the same thing with Command + Option + Shift to do a perspective distort.

share|improve this answer
That's one of those Creative Suite UI points that will be synchronized across applications one of these days. Holding one's breath is not recommended. – Alan Gilbertson Oct 29 '11 at 19:29
It works only on vector graphics, but for the images "Shear tool" is useful which can be found under "Scale tool". – Sushan Oct 27 '14 at 12:19
  1. Select your object
  2. Click Effect - Distort & Transform - Free Distort.

Free distort effect

  1. Click and hold point to drag object into desired shape.

Free Distort

  1. Click OK to implement your modification

skewed Object

  1. Click Object - Expand Appearance

Expanded Appearance shape

  1. That's it, your done.Your Object is ready for standard editing.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

To get these individual point selections in Photoshop, you use skew. But in Illustrator this is unnecessary. The easiest way to do this type of manipulation is with the Direct Selection Tool (A) (the little white arrow). With this tool you can select individual points and move them around as you see fit.

In addition to that, if you hold SHIFT and click on each point, you can select multiple points to move around.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
you're right - direct select is definitely best for simple shapes, but doesn't work so well if you're looking to distort text etc. – Tom R Oct 29 '11 at 21:02
I hadn't considered that, sorry! – Johannes Oct 30 '11 at 4:38

If you want to use a skew effect with text, you can get a pretty good result from using Illustrator's 3-D - Extrude & Bevel effect.

Once your text has been 'Expanded', select it and click on 'Extrude & Bevel' in the 'Effects' menu. Set all of the option bars to 0, except for 'Rotation' and 'Perspective'.

Now simply experiment with these two until you get the result you're looking for.

I hope it helps.

share|improve this answer

You can use the Shear tool to do this. It's stored with the Scale Tool (s). Click and drag a corner, same as Photoshop.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.