Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen this on many websites as a background but I can't seem to find a name for it or I can't seem to create it myself. If someone has done this, it would help a lot if you can give me some details.

Trying to figure this out

share|improve this question
possible duplicate of How to create a background like – Jack Oct 29 '11 at 4:55
just reduce the noise section from above answer.and you'll get your answer hopefully – Jack Oct 29 '11 at 4:56
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Essentially that's called noise.

Basically there is a base color and then there's noise added to that color layer.

In photoshop you can do this with add noise filter.

Filter > Noise > Add noise.. ( Just like 1% or so.. just a hint of noise. )

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the photoshop tip! :) – Muhammad Usman Oct 29 '11 at 8:40

That looks like a monochromatic Noise rendering over a colored layer.

This consists of two layers, one color and one with the noise added to it.

You can then change the layer blending mode and opacity to suit your taste, it works well.

As an additional, if you apply a vertical or horizontal motion blur, you'll get a good approximation of brushed metal which also works well as a texture.


share|improve this answer
Thank you. This answers my question. :) – Muhammad Usman Oct 29 '11 at 8:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.