Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am wanting to create text that looks like the following image:


share|improve this question

migrated from Nov 6 '11 at 17:05

This question came from our site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers.

@all - This just looks like a go-to-my-blog question – Wayne Nov 6 '11 at 8:14
I would have uploaded the picture I'm asking about but my reputation isn't high enough to. – novicePrgrmr Nov 6 '11 at 8:25
Have fixed that for you :). Will retract my original comment and -1 – Wayne Nov 6 '11 at 8:30
This is one for the Graphic Design Stack Exchange - we only deal with Photoshop as it relates to photography here. However... <cough> Layer Styles </cough> – ElendilTheTall Nov 6 '11 at 8:37
Haha, thank you for the <cough> hint </cough> – novicePrgrmr Nov 6 '11 at 17:26
up vote 0 down vote accepted

There are lots of sites on the internet that offer tutorials on this. Beveled Text, Embossed Text, Watermarking (same concept just alpha transparency raised)...

These are just random Google/Bing searches:

Even youtube:

Or my best is There is also Kelby Training & KelbyTV but these are more from a photographic point of view than the software perspective.

But expect this to get migrated as advised in the comments

share|improve this answer
Fantastic, I didn't know what the technique was called or I would have googled it myself. Thank you!! – novicePrgrmr Nov 6 '11 at 17:27
Would you happen to know what font was used in the above image? – novicePrgrmr Nov 6 '11 at 17:28
@novicePrgrmr - Sorry, I cannot tell you the font type used. I think may come close – Wayne Nov 6 '11 at 21:52
The typeface is Myriad. – Alan Gilbertson Nov 7 '11 at 5:20
@AlanGilbertson - How do you verify that? Is it just experience? Or is that another question unto itself! – Wayne Nov 7 '11 at 8:28

if you want a simple way to do so and give it a little extra feel like this image:

enter image description here

You can find the 6-step tutorial here:

share|improve this answer
and you can download this psd as well – Jack Jan 2 '12 at 12:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.