Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not very technical and want to know if there is an app or software I can download to put my own photos into a letter to create my own font? Like the word MUMMY done but eith images of her children filling the letter?

share|improve this question
You don't mention what software you have access too but generally this will be done with Clipping Mask. We've got numerous questions on the subject. As I don't know what software you'll be using I can't mark a specific duplicate but have a look at these --- you can also use Google/Bing to search for clipping mask tutorials. – Ryan Feb 16 '15 at 16:23
possible duplicate of Illustrator clipping masks containing images and text – Ryan Feb 16 '15 at 16:29
Are you looking to create something like this, or an image effect like this? – JohnB Feb 16 '15 at 16:40
@JohnB I'm going to guess they would like the second – SaturnsEye Feb 16 '15 at 16:50
I think you're asking for something like clipping masks, like How to turn text into a “hole” in a layer, so I will see the background through it, but using something simpler than Photoshop? I imagine there's probably some free online service but it's not something designers are likely to know about (maybe try asking at ?). This is also sometimes called knockout text – user568458 Feb 16 '15 at 16:53

I'm assuming you will use Adobe Photoshop to make this work. So here are the steps for it:

  • Open a new template.
  • Write the word Mummy on the new layer.
  • Now drag and drop the image you want to bring over the text in this template. After bringing the image, right click on the layer of the image and click on "Create Clipping Mask".
  • The image will now be in the text, you can resize the image according to your want.

Hope that helped.

share|improve this answer
Hi UserSum, welcome to GDSE and thanks for your answer. If you have any questions, please see the help center or ping one of us in Graphic Design Chat once your reputation is sufficient (20). Keep contributing and enjoy the site! – Vincent May 19 '15 at 11:27
Thank you. I hope to help the users with answer whenever possible. – UserSum May 20 '15 at 9:55

I would recommend using adobe illustrator if you intend on creating a font, write a letter, right click on it, select Create Outlines, place an image over it, select them both and press Ctrl+7 (Clipping Mask). (You can do the same with the entire word, not just one letter.)

It would be best if your images were vectorial cause of not, you will experience "bad things" when using the font and choosing a big font size.

share|improve this answer

protected by Darth_Vader Aug 18 '15 at 15:06

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site.

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.