Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do you recreate the effect as seen in this picture through Photoshop? I'm talking about the grainy texture...

I tried using noise filter and played with layer blends, but the result is less than what I'd expected it to be like:

I've been sitting up all night trying to figure this out and all I can think now is "GRAAAAIIIINS"

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

That's not really an effect, it's just dithering with a very limited color palette. Here's an example I just created using it, and the instructions on how to apply this "effect" are just below that.

enter image description here

How to apply it...

Get your picture into Photoshop, and go to Image > Mode > Indexed Color... via the main menu. In the Indexed Color dialog box that appears, set the Palette to "Custom" which will bring up the Color Table dialog box where you can select color swatches to be used for your image. You can click a tile to add a color and Ctrl-click on Windows (probably Cmd-click on Mac) to remove a tile. To create an image similar to the questioner's example, I'd try using three or so colors. In my own example I used black, white, magenta, and a yellow-ish color. Choose your colors and click Ok. Now set the Dither option to "Diffusion" and you can play with the Amount percentage to get the exact look you want. Click Ok and you're done.

Applied to a block of 50% gray...

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Exactly right. Thanks for saving me the time! – Alan Gilbertson Dec 5 '11 at 8:54
+1 Thats brilliant....shame on me :D – Jack Dec 5 '11 at 9:04
@Alan, no problem :) – Alexei Dec 5 '11 at 9:20
@Jack, it's all good, better to chime in than hold back if you have an idea imho – Alexei Dec 5 '11 at 9:20
The first one looks to be some other dithering pattern, not "diffusion". – e100 Dec 5 '11 at 10:45

Try using two layers, one for the noise and one for the image.

Start with a gray background and play with the layer effects (overlay, hard light, etc) and the Splatter Filter (under Filter>Brush Strokes, for randomness).

Mess with the layer opacity, and/or add a blur (~10-15%) to your noise layer to decrease the intensity of noise and smooth out the noise, respectively.

share|improve this answer
I tried every possible combination with the layers. But @alexei's got the solution. Cheers for the help. – jklm313 Dec 25 '11 at 14:40

There are so many effects applied on this pic, I applied some of photoshop filters just to match this style, I dont know whether they are useful or not for you but they can make similar output which you can use....

You can apply halftone filter also,in the last i have mentioned some tutorials please see them..

In First image example I applied patchwork this goes bit similar to your image.( Open image in new window for clarity )

enter image description here

In second image example I used Texturizer it also goes similar with your image in this you can change appearance setting from drop down, They all give different can try and match if you need something from there....( Open image in new window for clarity )

enter image description here

In this image example I first applied grain than i reduced this layer opacity, this also goes with your image, you can try hue and saturation and many more effects on this layer to pop out the background though i just tried a bit to show you...( Open image in new window for clarity )

enter image description here

This effect can also achieved with the help of halftone effects :

  1. Halftone effect
  2. Halftone and bitmap effects

Hope this will help a bit...

share|improve this answer
To the down voters whats wrong if i am giving other options to get the same result??? – Jack Dec 5 '11 at 9:08
Thanks for the help! But @alexei's got the answer! Cheers :) – jklm313 Dec 25 '11 at 14:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.