Take the 2-minute tour ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can someone remind me what the technical name is for the removal of a background froma still image?

Our photographer told me years ago, but I've since forgotten and it gets embarrassing!

share|improve this question

5 Answers 5

Depending on the context and who you're talking to, this is referred to as "keying" (also referred to as Chroma Key), "matting" (mostly video), "masking" (you'll come across "clipping mask" as a term which is interchangeable with "mask" in most cases) or extraction. These are all names for the same general technique, which is the basis of Compositing.

share|improve this answer
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The phrase I was looking for is 'deep-etching'.

Thanks for all the answers, guys.

share|improve this answer
Deep etching is how to achieve the effect after the plate is burned. The correct answer is given by Alan Gilbertson, below. –  Stan Sep 6 '13 at 20:04

While I think Alan probably has it, silhouetting is an old school printer's term, opaquing (using a red clay-like paint to mask off portions of B&W film negatives), and vignetting all might fit the bill.

share|improve this answer

You might mean "background extraction".

share|improve this answer

You could say "Cut out" or "Image cut out"

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.