Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As all the big sites have been updating their style recently, I've noticed this effect on a few sites and I'm wondering how they do it.

Its like this normal gradient effect, with this pattern, abbit similar to a dissolving effect, but not quite that...

JSFIDDLE: Its on the top menu bar on this site:

Twitter: Again, its on the top black menu bar on

Youtube: Its like the whole of Youtube's background but its quite hard to notice on that one.

Do you guys see what I'm talking about?

How would I get that effect in Photoshop?


share|improve this question
possible duplicate of How to create a background like – Jack Dec 20 '11 at 4:39
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It's called 'noise'. Most raster image editing software have various noise filters.

share|improve this answer

Actually in JsFiddle I've used a combination of noise and a very subtle grain texture.

share|improve this answer
Lol at that :) (+1) – Joonas Dec 21 '11 at 10:12
Glad you did :) – Jack Dec 21 '11 at 13:07

The art here is to use a pattern on top of your chosen color, and then lowering down the opacity of your pattern overlay to an almost imperceptible level. An example is here: enter image description here

(I've used the 'Parchment' pattern with 20% opacity)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.