Sign up ×
Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

As all the big sites have been updating their style recently, I've noticed this effect on a few sites and I'm wondering how they do it.

Its like this normal gradient effect, with this pattern, abbit similar to a dissolving effect, but not quite that...

JSFIDDLE: Its on the top menu bar on this site:

Twitter: Again, its on the top black menu bar on

Youtube: Its like the whole of Youtube's background but its quite hard to notice on that one.

Do you guys see what I'm talking about?

How would I get that effect in Photoshop?


share|improve this question
possible duplicate of How to create a background like – Jack Dec 20 '11 at 4:39

3 Answers 3

up vote 1 down vote accepted

It's called 'noise'. Most raster image editing software have various noise filters.

share|improve this answer

Actually in JsFiddle I've used a combination of noise and a very subtle grain texture.

share|improve this answer
Lol at that :) (+1) – Joonas Dec 21 '11 at 10:12
Glad you did :) – Jack Dec 21 '11 at 13:07

The art here is to use a pattern on top of your chosen color, and then lowering down the opacity of your pattern overlay to an almost imperceptible level. An example is here: enter image description here

(I've used the 'Parchment' pattern with 20% opacity)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.