Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like to recreate the effect used in this picture. How can I do this in Photoshop?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
It's an illustration more than anything. While the effect is part of it, the actual implementing of the illustration is likely 90% of the challenge here. – DA01 Jan 6 '12 at 3:00
I voted down this question because there's like gazillion tutorials about smoke that can be found with 3 seconds of googling "photoshop smoke tutorial" and then theres the obvious, brushes. ( Granted that it has some watercolor'ish feature's, but still ) – Joonas Jan 9 '12 at 9:30

There are several ways to achieve this effect you can get such brushes in-case you need them..

Hope this will help

share|improve this answer

I suspect the original author simply used the liquify command on a stock image (or lifted image) of actual smoke.

Then simply apply a gradient overlay for color.

share|improve this answer

Looks like a photo of smoke, mirrored with a gradient colour overlay.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.