Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to create new horizontal and vertical guides in Photoshop CS5.

1) view -> New Guide -> Vertical (this is for vertical guide line);
2) view -> New Guide -> Horizontal (this is for horizontal guide line).

My question is: Is there any other shortcut way to create these guide lines?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

pull from the rulers, ctrl-r to hide and show.. you can even use alt to change from vertical to horizontal.. or vice versa. Is that what you mean?

share|improve this answer

you know that you're able to make you own shortcut for it right?

Open Photoshop: Edit>Keyboard shortcuts (Alt+Shift+Ctrl+k)

Then Keyboard shortcuts and menus window pops up.

then you'll have to find the "view" dropdown folder. (third from the buttom) then you'll scroll way down and find the line "New Guide..."(fifth from the buttom) and put in the shortcut you want for it.

share|improve this answer

You can click and drag on rulers to create Guides.

If you want a Horizontal Guide, click and drag from Horizontal Ruler. and for vertical go for vertical ruler.

share|improve this answer

yes , alt + v, then press e. and the guidelines is here.

share|improve this answer
Can you please add one will get with alt+v etc. Your answer is a little bit short ... Welcome to GD.SE! – Kurt Jul 20 '15 at 16:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.