Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
How to make an inner shadow around a page in Photoshop CS2?

How do I get this effect where the edge is darkened?

Darkened edge image

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Farray Feb 7 '12 at 18:37

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Welcome to GD! This seems extremely similar to another question we've already had. Please check out the answers on the linked question. – Farray Feb 7 '12 at 18:38

Choose the soft round brush (it's the first one in the brush drop down menu at the top left) and choose something like 30% opacity, then just shift, click and drag the brush along each edge at a time, making sure that only the a small part of the brush is touching the canvas. That's how I do it, anyway.

Unless you have a RAW photo to edit and then you can just choose the effects tab and play around with the sliders under 'Post Crop Vignetting' until you get the desired effect.

Oh, or you could choose the gradient tool, choose black as your colour and select the second option on the drop down menu of gradient styles (at the top left) and make sure it's on linear gradient. Then you shift, click and drag away from the edge to the centre of the canvas as far in as you want the darkened effect - you could also play with the opacity here as well to get a softer look.

share|improve this answer
Even easier...go to layer fx and add an inset glow/shadow. – DA01 Feb 7 '12 at 20:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.