Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently bought an icon set of all black icons ( These icon's look really sharp, however I am interested in changing the color of some of them so something other than black (shade of green, red, etc).

I am kind of novice with image editing (I use Paint.NET - I can do some things, am familar with basic concepts like layers, clone stamps, etc).

I have a color replacer plugin for Paint.NET that I can use to change black to my new desired color - but the icons lose their "sharpness" because of the lighter grays that exist around the main dark black portions of the icon.

Is this an easy thing to do? Or am I just being lazy - do I need to just change every color, even the lighter shades, to my color - shade by shade?

Here is an example of one of the icons I want to turn to a different color:
enter image description here

Also - I am willing to use GIMP or some other free editor to accomplish this. I like Paint.NET, but am not married to it.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

In the image below, I've used the magic wand to select the pixels in the mobile phone icon, I then apply a Photoshop style. There are numerous other ways of achieving what you want that include adding a mask as mentioned above, or creating a new layer with this outline selected and filling with a new color.

Try to find the equivalent actions in GIMP if you can't get your hands on Photoshop.

Photoshop color change using magic wand or selecting the image

share|improve this answer

If you were using Photoshop (or GIMP I guess, but I have no experience) then you could just use the original black icon as an alpha (transparency) mask for a colour fill.

share|improve this answer
alternate: colorize the image using a color filled layer, and change that layer's blend mode. – horatio Feb 10 '12 at 18:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.