Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was some time without using photoshop regularly and i forgot this shortcut. How adapt the size of the type tool box to the dimension of the text ?

Obviously this can be done with the mouse, but i am interesting in the shortcut.

share|improve this question
For some reason I have never seen this as much of an issue in photoshop.. – Joonas Feb 20 '12 at 8:52
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Yea, I don't think there's a keyboard shortcut for this. However, if you set a keyboard shortcut for Change Text Shape Type, you can hit it twice, and it will sorta do what you want—by changing the type object to a point text and then converting it back to paragraph text.

I've tested this, and it works for the vertical size. But it generally leaves a lot of extra room on the non-flushed / ragged side. It also doesn't work when you have non-zero margins set.

After a little experimenting, it seems that the extra space added to the non-aligned side is a lot smaller when you use larger font sizes. And for some reason, this remains true even if you scale down the text area. So starting with a larger version of the text object and scaling it down is a workaround.

share|improve this answer
That's one wild and wooly workaround! If I still set area type in Photoshop I might give it a whirl, just for grins, but as you point out it's a very blunt instrument. Come to think of it, so is Photoshop when you're talking about type. :) – Alan Gilbertson Feb 21 '12 at 1:15
I remember that have a shortcut for that in indesign. My bad. Anyway, a shortcut would be great for me in photoshop :) – Fel Feb 21 '12 at 3:13

I've never heard of such a shortcut.

You can resize the type via Command/Ctrl - Shift - < or Command/Ctrl - Shift - >

But only the mouse will resize a text area.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.