Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's an animation on the front page and eventually I'd like to make something like that. I don't know where to start though.

Which program(s) could be used to make such animations?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

After Effects. I'm guessing that the primitives were created in either Illustrator or Photoshop and the flares, drops, etc. were accomplished using various plug-ins that manipulated particles and lighting.

You can find tutorials for this :

  1. Excellent Adobe After Effects Tutorials

  2. Adobe After Effects Tutorials

share|improve this answer
Wow. There's definitely a lot of particle-system action going on there! Sure looks like it came out of AE. – Alan Gilbertson Feb 24 '12 at 2:10
Very nice edit. I'd doubly +1 you if I could. – Mirov Feb 27 '12 at 23:48

There's no way to know. It could be any combination of Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator, any number of 3D software, any number of video editing tools, any number of video effects tools, etc

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.