Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Mohawk College in Ontario, CA just opened a very nice design center which includes packaging machinery for the students to learn, it is a part of their graphic design program.

It got me wondering if there's any programs in the United States with a similar program and facilities. Does anyone know of one?

share|improve this question
Yes. – Lèse majesté Mar 22 '12 at 0:07
up vote 1 down vote accepted

UW-Stout, WI has a packaging engineering program:

Alas, it's not part of the art program, though that also has a good reputation:

share|improve this answer

I was doing more research and work today (one of the books I work in is about the industry) and saw an article in a magazine we barter with that had an article about the FFTA offering a Press Operator Certification Course. Went online and looked into it and found this:

share|improve this answer
Are you looking for a program in the graphic arts (typically includes press operators, print technology, packaging production, etc.) or visual arts (graphic design, etc.)? They are usually different degree tracks, though you could certainly double major or major/minor in both. – DA01 Mar 22 '12 at 15:36
I'm looking for ones that specifically train students on packaging equipment, packaging design, flexopress printers, diecutters, folder/gluers, so on. While I wouldn't mind learning it myself I'm really not looking for me but for the book I work on. – Ryan Mar 22 '12 at 16:02
Ah, well, that's probably not a Graphic Design question, then. The printing/packaging industry is much more of a mechanical engineering/trade school type background and is usually quite separate from that of the Art/Design programs. I don't think it necessarily SHOULD be that way, but it is. One term to research on would be "Graphic Communications Management"...which is a term used to describe the business and process of commercial printing (of which packaging would be a subset of). – DA01 Mar 22 '12 at 17:22
Well as I said mostly. I am looking for myself as well if there's an online program or any MFA programs that are in schools with the facilities where I would be able to do both. I already have a bachelor's degree though. – Ryan Mar 22 '12 at 17:46
Oh! Gotcha. Well, the Stout recommendation above would work. I believe they offer an MFA now and with both the printing and packaging programs, you should have access to a nice range of manufacturing technologies. – DA01 Mar 22 '12 at 17:54

Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) has a print industry major program ( ) my father-in-law went there back in the 60s and actually did some research work on stochastic screening (or so he claims :O ).

Not sure if this qualifies, but University of the Arts in Philadelphia has had an Industrial Design department since the 19th century. In some cases package design is considered a subset if ID.

share|improve this answer

Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City has an amazing packaging design program!

share|improve this answer
Updated link to point directly to the packaging design program. Note that this appears to be a graphic design focused program (vs. a mechanical engineering program as the other answers mention). – DA01 Apr 9 '13 at 20:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.