Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I use 'Round Rectangle Tool' to create a rounded rectangle shape.

I want to apply dark gray border on the right and bottom of a rectangle shape (layer).

What is the solution to do this? I have tried to play around with Stroke (Position: Inside) from Blending option but no luck.

share|improve this question
I always put in a separate layer, make rectangle, then delete unwanted lines – Eric Yin Mar 25 '12 at 22:27
up vote 7 down vote accepted

You could use for example Inner shadow to do that.

Other potential Layer style ways of doing that would be: Drop Shadow and Bevel and emboss

Here's a bottom right border made with Inner shadow:

And Those other mentioned Layer styles would also go by same basic idea. ( With drop shadow you could make a border that is set outside. )

enter image description here

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

For anyone else searching for this, do your effect as you wish, duplicate the layer (for non destruct) hide the original, right click on the dupe layer and rasterize it. Then, you can modify it as needed.

share|improve this answer
this is very unscalable and difficult to modify – kumar_harsh Dec 16 '15 at 6:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.