Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a shortcut for switching between doge and burn in Photoshop? When working with photo manipulations you often work with both but I've never known of a way to switch quickly between the two.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I always use Dodge tool and then just press alt and start burning.

It is not a permanent switch. It only stays as the burn tool when you press alt.

( same thing works if you initially select burn tool, except it changes the tool to dodge when pressing alt. )

If you need to change the range quickly you can easily do that by shift right clicking the document and choose what range to use.

share|improve this answer
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the Shift + Right Click trick too. – Vian Esterhuizen Mar 31 '12 at 15:01
Game changer. Thanks. – Sam Figueroa Jan 27 '15 at 12:10

If you disable "Use Shift Key for Tool Switch" in the General Preferences, you can simply press O (to go from Dodge to Burn) or OO (to cycle past the Sponge tool and go from Burn to Dodge). Otherwise you can keep the default behavior and use Shift-O and Shift-O Shift-O respectively.

For an even quicker Dodge and Burn switching technique, add a new layer in Overlay mode and fill with 50% gray. Set your colors to the defaults (D) and use the Brush tool at an opacity of about 10% in Overlay mode on your new layer. You can toggle between Dodge (white brush) and Burn (black brush) by pressing X.

share|improve this answer
+2 if I could for alternative technique. Thank you. – Vian Esterhuizen Mar 31 '12 at 4:52
I love tricks like that. :) – Lauren Ipsum Mar 31 '12 at 10:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.