Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This may be an odd question. I can't bring up an example now that I'm looking for it, but often, I have seen software displayed on a Mac monitor on a site in a screenshot. When you click on the monitor the screenshot enlarges so you can get a better look.

This can be replicated by some photoshop and some JavaScript, however, I was wondering if this is a common widget.

Thank you for your help.

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by plainclothes, Yisela, e100, JohnB, Scott Dec 22 '12 at 4:09

Questions on Graphic Design Stack Exchange are expected to relate to graphic design within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Probably better suited question for Stack Exchange. There are a ton of javascript libraries to do this... litebox, thickbox, highslide, jquery, fancybox... – Scott Apr 8 '12 at 7:32
I'm confused, what are you actually asking? Are you asking how to do this or just if it's common? You are a well versed and well known javascript developer so I'm pretty sure your not asking how to implement this effect. – Chris_O Apr 17 '12 at 16:07
Thank you, @Chris. I'm asking if there is an accepted way to do this, as it is so common. I'm going to use lightbox as it seems there isn't. – Sara Chipps Apr 20 '12 at 16:37
I have seen this too but can't really comment on the developer side of it. From a graphic point of view it's a merge of 2 screenshots, the app and the empty desktop. Here is an example: – KMSTR Sep 21 '12 at 7:18

There's no common widget out there but there are a LOT of variants of the old lightbox effect you are referring to. If you want to stick to the Adobe suite, there are widgets for Dreamweaver but I've never touched them. There's a forum post here ->

If you were interested in comparing all of the different libraries designed to do the lightbox effect, there's an excellent resource at which compares the features, costs and technology of a whooooole bunch of them.

Personally, I like ColorBox from

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.