Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an industry term for a ribbon wrapping the corner of a design element? I'm going to be referring to this a lot in the near future, and it would be great if I could call it something more intelligent than "The corner ribbon thingy"

One example of what I'm talking about is on the site: The right-hand div has three elements which it rotates through. The first element has a red 'New' ribbon wrapping the corner of it.

Thank you!

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I've heard it called a "snipe" by someone with 30 years in the advertising business. We also called it a "corner hat."

share|improve this answer

I'd call it a 'corner flash'. It's often a triangle rather than a ribbon, and as in this case, it's most commonly associated with a "New!" message.

share|improve this answer
+1 for the only answer which, when put into google images, shows me what the questioner was referring to (their site seems to be currently down) – user568458 Mar 9 '12 at 16:08
The company is permanently down AFAIK... – e100 Mar 9 '12 at 16:56

I would probably call it a "corner element."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.