Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to convert an image to this style using Photoshop:

example image from

How do I add the border made of clouds? Does this style have a name?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The effect is called "a vignette." This can be created by using a layer mask where the mask knocks out parts of the layer and allows what is beneath it to be seen.

The clouds themselves are probably a brush that looks like clouds, but it can be a black and white image of clouds to make the mask, and an oval gradient to soften the effect.

If I were to do this, I might make a layer filled with white, create a layer mask with an oval gradient to describe the basic vignette, and then use a photo of clouds to roughen the edges of the oval.

share|improve this answer

I usualy do this with the brush tool, you might need to download a good 'cloud' brush package. I don't know any other way.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.