Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Doesn't mean to ripped off. I know how to create morphing between images but does anyone know how to make the animated wavy effects showcase here?

share|improve this question
More answers to same question here:… – feetwet Dec 20 '14 at 20:39

Some guesses

To me, it looks like they've prepared the photos so the eyes, mouth and head shapes overlay as closely as possible. The animation looks like two main aspects are changing.

  1. Alpha channel animation
  2. They're using 2D morphing

The alpha channel looks to have a soft diagonal pattern though it that's scrolling from top to bottom. This is what's giving it the "wavy" effect, because the different faces have different width features, like hair.

The morphing is a little harder to pin down. I'm not sure if there's anything special going on there.

And I also don't know how the triangles that you can see at some points relate. They seem to be strictly for the morphing. It's been a while since I've done any work with morphing, but there used to be some good software around for it. The name escapes me though.

Edit: The author says this in the comments.

Hi, this is a morphing + a set mask filters.

Doesn't give much away, but suggests I may have been on the right path?

share|improve this answer
Thanks Marc. I red the comments too. Can't figure out what "a set mask filters" means tho. – Jeno Apr 30 '12 at 5:43
Mask = alpha channel. So I think they're talking about animating the mask. – Marc Edwards Apr 30 '12 at 11:29
2 animation at the same time? – Jeno May 1 '12 at 15:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.