Graphic Design Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Graphic Design professionals, students, and enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to find a font that looks like the lettering on a movie sign. I will be using a background to give the lines in the background. Now I need to find a font that looks like the text on the sign. Are there any fonts that give the diagonal "and" and "the" like in the first two pictures? Does that diagonal type have a proper name to Google?

enter image description here enter image description here Font like this

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The "diagonal words" are called 'catchwords'. An example from the wood type era:

enter image description here

For simple geometric sans such as the ones in the photos, you can certainly make your own. There are fonts that have them built in, however:

share|improve this answer
And something like Gordon Black which includes them may be suitably "1950s" as well. +1 – Andrew Leach May 2 '12 at 6:31

That's almost monospaced which means that many fonts will have U and N too wide. Try TW Cen MT Condensed Bold or Extra Bold.

TW Cen MT Condensed example

Free versions are available (but if you run Windows software you may already have them).

The rounder style on the older photos is almost Highway Gothic — this example is only a fairly good match but it's free. You may need Highway Gothic E(M).

Highway Gothic example

The "diagonal" text isn't diagonal; the letters are placed on a stepped baseline.

share|improve this answer
thanks for the answer. It is very helpful. Is there a way to get a font that does a stepped up baseline automatically for short words? – Alexis K May 1 '12 at 22:11
I don't know of one (but that's not "No"!) In the physical signs they would probably have been three letters arranged on a single piece of clear plastic or linked with thin wire. You could make a single similar graphic. – Andrew Leach May 1 '12 at 22:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.